1 large 1lb bag of red kidney beans (rinsed, soaked in kosher salt and water overnight and drained)
1/2 cup of chopped onions
1 clove of garlic (chopped)
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
1/4 cup of chopped green peppers
1 pack of smoked ham shanks
2 tbsp of Lawry’s season salt
1 tbsp Zatarrin’s Creole seasoning
1 tbsp of salt
2 tbsp of black pepper
2 tbsp of crystal hot sauce
10 cups of water
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over med-high heat. Sauté the onions, bell pepper, salt, and black pepper for about 5 minutes. Add the cooked ham shanks and sauté for an additional 5 to 6 minutes to sweat the vegetables.
- Add the beans, garlic and 10 cups water to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmered uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 2 hours.
- Add more water if the mixture becomes dry and thick.
- After about 2 hours of initial cooking use a wooden spoon to mash about half of the mixture against the side of pot.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about another hour or until the mixture is creamy and the beans are soft.
- Add more water if it becomes too thick. The mixture should be creamy but not watery.
- Serve with steamed rice an ENJOY! 🙂